Sunday 17 August 2008

This may be a little premature

But I'm already making plans about what events I want to take our Ethiopian baby to go and see at the Olympics in London in 2012. (Of course, by then, hopefully they won't be a baby, unless this process takes even longer than I think it will. And who knows - by that stage, there might even be more than one of them).


The men's 10,000m is looking like a pretty good bet, based on the 2008 team's performance:


L-R) Seleshi Sihine (silver), Kenenisa Bekele (gold) and teammate Haile Gebreselassie celebrate. (Photo credit: Mark Dadswell/Getty Images)

The women's 10,000 doesn't look like it would be time wasted, either:

Tirunesh Dibaba of Ethiopia celebrates with a national flag after the final of women's 10000 meters at the National Stadium. Tirunesh Dibaba claimed the title with 29 mins
54.66 secs. (Xinhua/Liao Yujie)
BEIJING, Aug. 15 (Xinhua) --


Planning the events might be reasonable, but I have to admit that I've even planned the T-shirt he/ she is going to wear - ethio flag on the front, Union Jack on the back (unless this child is exceptionally rotund, I don't think there will be room for an Australian flag as well, so I'd better keep this a secret from my mother).

I'm so unreasonably pleased about these medals (why? why? I don't even like sport) and have to keep reminding myself not to mention them to anyone else. "Isn't it great about those Ethiopian medals yesterday!" "Err, no, Claudia, I don't actually care. Come to think of it - why do YOU care?" "...." (awkward silence) "no reason! I'm just suddenly really into endurance sports! It's definitely not because we're secretly planning to adopt a baby!"

Convincing, no?

3 comments:

  1. How have I never seen your blog before?! Love it! I can't wait to watch your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! You forgot sleeves! What about little Aussie flags on the sleeves? That would be cute! And, forget taking them to watch the olympics... you need to get into "obsessive-making-my-child-overacheive" mode - it's never too early - and plan what events they'll be entering in 2016. You know you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Engelhardts! I'm certainly enjoying watching yours :)

    Oh, and Lucy, did I not say that they would be COMPETING in 2012? 3 is not too young, right? (Good idea about the sleeves, too. Will have to get you to send me badges when the time comes).

    ReplyDelete

Over to you!