Saturday 26 September 2009

What's with the background changes?

It has no doubt NOT escaped the notice of any of my regular readers that I did not come home from Ethiopia with babies. No, I did not. No babies here.

Sigh.

However, what I do have is approximately eight million and forty baby photos. I cant' show them to you yet, for reasons that you all already know, but boy oh boy I can sure spend a lot of time looking at them.

[You can't tell, but I just clicked away from this window for five minutes to look at them all again].

I have looked at them a lot since I came home. A lot. Even the un-favourite ones, eg where one baby is puking a little, are irresistible to me. And... there's no cool way to say this, so I'm just going to say it- I've started digitally scrapbooking some of them. Yes. I have. I have scrapbooked, and I am not ashamed.

(Okay, maybe a little ashamed).

It seems that the older I get, the less cool my hobbies become. Photography was reasonably cool. Sewing is borderline. Making my own beaded jewellery was pushing it. And scrapbooking... wow. I'm pretty sure that it is really incredibly uncool. (Sorry, scrapbookers. I'm one of you now, so I say this with love). I told my sister about this new interest, and she openly mocked me, which is never a good sign.

The one perk is that my new stash of digital papers (that's scrapbook-talk, y'all) can double as blog backgrounds! Now the text here actually contrasts with the area behind it - novel, non?

And actually, another one is that I've used my new hobby to solve a problem I've been ruminating on. I really want to tell you the babies' names, but after my last little experience with google, I've been very loath to type their names in any kind of searchable format. I've also been wanting to show you some pictures that don't break any rules (nothing that identifies the babies). So, without further ado, here they are in all their non searchable, legal, scrapbook-y glory:

[actually, in the end I decided to remove them, just to be on the ultra, uber safe side. I'll put them back up after court]

Her first name means 'precious jewel' in Amharic. Her second name was my grandmother's. And her third name is the name she had first. (When you see baby boy's name, you'll see why we didn't feel we could keep their first names!)

[same as above]

His first name (also Amharic) means 'Jehovah is Salvation'. His second name is my Father's name, and was J's uncle's name. And his third name matched his sister's a bit too closely for us to send them through school like that.

Come home soon, babies.

13 comments:

  1. Those are the tiniest little baby hands and feets that I have ever, ever seen.

    Come home soon, babies.

    And yes, you should be very, very, slightly ashamed of the scrapbooking. But if it makes you happy and passes the time... scrapbook on, my friend, scrapbook on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love their names and their tiny-ness. Oh. Sigh. Babies. Adoption. You two. Now Four. Just lovely...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh....such tiny feet and fingers. They are so amazing! I love seeing you holding them. The names are beautiful! I look forward to seeing their sweet faces one day. We are praying them home with you...do you have any idea when you will be able to go back?

    I think of you so often and pray for you in this surreal - partial parenting place that you are living in...hugs and love...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the babies, love the tiny hands and feet, love the names, love you. (And yes, love the new background, because it is SO much easier to read.) Come home soon, babies, indeed. Auntie Amy wants snuggles in the spring.

    No comment on the scrapbooking. See above re: love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet babies with beautiful names...come home, please.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I was just given a tiny little peephole and now I want to open it up as wide as I can to get a better look. (-; I love seeing a baby in your arms and can't wait until you are all reunited and at home for good.

    Scrapbook away...

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY GOSH!!! They are so adorable--what I can see of them anyway :)
    Beautiful names--and go ahead, scrapbook away. Not that I've done it, or plan on doing it, but I am always impressed with others' productions and well, like everything in this journey, we can never say never, right?

    YES, come home babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant to tell you also, it is so much easier to read your posts now (before it was a little difficult for me, since I have bad eyes, with the dark type on the dark background)...thank you.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel similarly about scrapbooking. I am just altogether too lazy for it or else I would have taken it up. I love prints, on paper or fabric or walls or whatever.

    As for those teensy weensy little toes and fingers and their beautiful names, thank you for sharing it with us. It really does feel very satisfying to see just a little of them and to know about their names and such. I think of you so much and am sending you all my positive mojo across the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my littles!!! Wow, so cute ... can't wait to see the full pics. Maybe we will cross paths in Ethiopia. If not, maybe I can hop the pond and you can give me my first taste of beans on toast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. those beautiful feet! Oh my gosh I want to kiss those sweet toes!!! (I can't wait to see their darling faces) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Come home soon, babies! What tiny little babies with such beautiful names! You go, scrapbooker :) C, I cannot, cannot, cannot fathom what it must be like to see them, hold them and have to say goodbye for a little while (please be a very, very tiny, tiny, little bitty while). You are glowing in the picture with one of your little ones. Hang in there, friend! Rooting for quick courts!

    ReplyDelete

Over to you!